We put customers first by providing the best customer service, most complete selection, and the highest in-stock level at the right price through friendly, motivated and knowledgeable people at the most convenient stores.
1931 was a year of hard times for farmers in San José, California. Two years of drought and crop failures plus the Great Depression brought plenty of economic woe. Thirty farmers, mostly prune growers, considered buying their farm supplies as a cooperative. Each farmer put up $30 and Orchard Supply was born.
On March 1, 1931 a rented warehouse on Bassett Street served as the first location for Orchard. It was stocked with picking pails, orchard ladders, sprays, fertilizers and other farming supplies. Non-farmers recognized Orchard Supply as a good place to shop and get helpful advice.
Business grew and Orchard Supply moved to a larger location on 44 Vine Street. In addition to farm supplies, the new store location brought in hardware, gardening supplies, housewares and homewares. Again, business flourished and in 1946, a new store was built at 720 West San Carlos Street. The newest location featured a rail-served warehouse and 26,000 square feet of retail space. By this time the purchasing cooperative had almost 2,000 members and Orchard Supply was recognized as a leading hardware store in San José.
EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT/ PARTNER